This is a comprehensive history
of Brigus, a small fishing community located in Conception Bay, Newfoundland
and Labrador, Canada, which dates back to around 1612, when John Guy sold half
of the harbour to the Spracklin family. Located in a sheltered bay, Brigus has
been home to many fishermen and has been a strategic location in early times.
It is located adjacent to Cupers Cove (modern-day Cupids), an English
settlement established in 1610 by John Guy on behalf of Bristol’s Society of
shipbuilding, sealing, and Arctic exploration were among the primary
occupations of the residents of Brigus during the seventeenth, eighteenth, and
nineteenth centuries. The community's name is derived from Brickhouse, the name
of an old town in England.